Monday 11 June 2012

Compromise, Compromise, Compromise

So, I hate - and I mean HATE - set tours, tour busses, etc., etc.

What happens to be the cheapest and easiest way to get to our first destination? A tour.

I'll admit, I pouted. I'm still pouting. But you have to do things you don't want in order to get some of these places I guess. Matt is pleased though... which is why I think I'm still feeling grouchy.

Anyway, our first destinations are... Stonehenge and Avebury!

Avebury is a neolithic henge monument. It has three stone circles one of which is the largest in Europe all located around the Village of Avebury in Wiltshire. More information on Avebury can be found here.
Stonehenge is about 30km (about 18 miles for us Americans) south of Avebury. Both are pre-historic earthworks sites. According to the World Heritage Site book, Stonehenge and Avebury are arranged in menhirs (large upright standing stones) arranged in astrological significance. The exact significance of the sites is still being explored but the discovery of satellite sites around the two major locations is helping to explain their exact uses.

Here's a few facts about Stonehenge (all of them and more can be found at Stonehenge's website)

- built around 3100
- built for both lunar and solar worship
- made of Bluestone, Sarsen, Welsh Sandstone
- built in 3 stages through millions of hours of work

There are a lot of myths and legends surrounding the sites, most including faeries :) which should make it a magical trip (at least I hope!)

It's important to note that this trip isn't going to happen until about the 23rd as Matt still can't walk. But planning is keeping us sane.

xT

No comments:

Post a Comment